FOR THE SALMON1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp Italian Seasoning
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
2 medium salmon filets (wild salmon is always the best)
1 tbsp olive oil
FOR THE SWEET POTATO KALE SKILLET
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup red onions — chopped
- 1 tsp garlic clove — minced
- 2 cups sweet potato — diced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- A pinch of red chili flakes
- 3 cups trimmed and coarsely chopped kale leaves
- Remove the salmon fillets from the refrigerator about 15 minutes before you’re ready to cook.
- Using a paper towel, pat each fillet on the top and bottom to dry. This is an important step to prevent the fillets from sticking to the pan.
- In a small bowl, add paprika, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, salt and freshly ground black pepper. Mix everything well to combine. Season the salmon fillets and set it aside.
- In a cast iron skillet, add 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil over medium heat and let the pan heat up for a couple minutes.
- Add the fillets skin-side down to the skillet. Cook for about 6-8 minutes (time will depend on the thickness of the salmon fillet). Do not move the fillet. Wait and leave it be.
- Flip the fillets and cook for 2 minutes or so.
- Remove the salmon from the pan. Transfer the fillets to a paper towel-lined plate and set it aside.
- In the same skillet over medium-high heat, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Then, add onions and cook until onions are soft and golden.
- Add garlic and cook for about 30 seconds.
- 10.Add sweet potato and ¼ cup of water to help to cook it faster. Close the skillet with a lid and cook the sweet potato for 2 minutes*.
- 11.When the sweet potatoes are cooked, add kale, salt, pepper and chilli flakes. Mix everything well until the kale wilted.
- 12.Return the salmon to the pan. Enjoy!