- 1 Tbsp. coconut oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1/4 inch dice
- 1 medium apple, cored and diced
- 12 ounces ground turkey or chicken
- 1/2 tsp dried sage
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Pinch of nutmeg and/or red pepper flakes
- 3 cups kale, chard or spinach, washed and torn
- Combine ground turkey, sage, thyme, garlic powder, salt and nutmeg or red pepper flakes (if using) in small bowl. Stir with large spoon or use your hands to combine. Set aside.
- Place a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 2 tsp coconut oil and heat just until oil starts to shimmer. Add onion and butternut squash. Saute for 7-8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add 3 tbsp water and diced apple. Cook an additional 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Move vegetable mixture to one side of the pan. Add 1 tsp coconut oil and turkey mixture. Allow turkey to cook a few minutes before breaking it up with a spatula or wooden spoon.
- Continue to cook 5-6 minutes or until turkey is cooked through and no longer pink. Stir to combine vegetables and sausage.
- Place kale/chard/spinach on top of hash and cover with a lid. Allow greens to wilt, about 1-2 minutes. Stir, season with additional salt and pepper and serve.
Recipe by Simply Nourished at http://simplynourishedrecipes.com/butternut-squash-and-apple-hash-with-sausage/