Cook Time: 6 Hours
Recipe & Photo Cred: My Natural Family
- 2 lb chicken thighs bone-in, skin removed
- 1/2 tbsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 5 cups water or chicken broth
- 2 tbsp chicken base (if using water instead of broth)
- 1 lb carrots peeled and sliced
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 1/2 bunch kale chopped
- 1/2 tbsp fresh thyme chopped
- Place the chicken thighs in the base of a crock pot. Sprinkle the salt and pepper over the chicken.
- Place the thyme sprigs and minced garlic on top of the chicken.
- Pour the water (or chicken broth) into the crock pot. Add the chicken base, if using.
- Cook the chicken on high for 4 hours.
- Remove the chicken from the crock pot and place in a bowl.
- Remove the thyme sprigs and discard.
- Separate the chicken from the bones.
- Lightly shred the chicken. Discard any cartilage.
- Add the bones back to the soup and cover and refrigerate the chicken.
- Add the carrots, onions and chopped thyme to the broth and cook on high for 2 hours.
- In the last 1/2 hour of cooking, add the kale to the soup.
- Remove the bones from the soup and discard.
- Add the chicken to the soup and allow to reheat for about 10 minutes.
- Serve and Enjoy!